Wednesday, September 1, 2010

No Vacancy!

When I was a little kid I could never get away with anything.  My brother and two sisters could never get away with anything either cause somehow our Mom and Dad always found out.  Now mind you, we grew up in a small town and wherever we went someone knew us and knew who we belonged too.  So its no wonder we couldnt get away with anything.  Mom and Dad had eyes and ears everywhere but at the time, to us kids, it seemed that Mom and Dad were almost magical in their knowing :-)

It can be like that with God.  We, at times, forget that He is all knowing, all seeing and all interested in us.  When He does something to speak directly to where we are in life or what we are thinking, we often times are amazed and confused. We wonder, how did He do that? Or we may even talk ourselves out of believing that what just happened was from God.  Sometimes we are able to recognize it for what it is and revel in the fact that He loves us so much that He takes the time to speak directly to us and into our hearts.  Well, today I had one of those magical moments from God.

I did my bible reading while I was on lunch today.  I've read the first three chapters of Genesis many times before so it was very familiar to me.  I was thinking about and wondering about what God may want to show me this time. I wasn't really hit with any major revelation so I just finished my lunch and returned to work.

I work for a major insurance company and about ½ hour after returning to my desk I received a phone call from one of our clients.  He is currently on the east coast and was in desperate need of some notes that he left at his home here on the west coast.  He asked if he could have his daughter bring the notes to me and then could I find a local office in his current area and fax the notes to that office and he would swing by and pick them up.  I assured him that wasnt a problem.  I made a couple of phone calls, got everything set up and his daughter came down with the notes.  I had no idea until that moment that our client is a minister and the notes were sermon notes/ideas.  

On the first page of the notes it said in all capital letters GOD DID NOT CREATE A VACANT DAY.  The notes went on to discuss other aspects of the first three chapters of the book of Genesis but I dont want to steal Pastor Bs sermon so Ill just let him preach those points where God leads :-D  But WOW!  That is amazing!  I cant really even find words to describe how amazing that is.  God brought me exactly what He wanted me to think about, right to my desk, in an insurance officeisnt that just amazing?!?       

God did not create a vacant day.  He had a purpose and a plan to fulfill on each of the seven days of creation.  Even the seventh, Sabbath, day had a purpose rest (I plan on reminding my husband of this particular purpose the next time I want to sleep in on a Saturday morning! :-D).  Do we live our life with a purpose and a plan?  Are any of our days vacant?  Do we embrace the simple tasks, joys, hurdles in life or do we gloss over them waiting for the bigger and better days to come?
 
Ive been guilty of not staying in the moment and of looking/waiting/wishing for something more to come along.  I want to do my best from now on to not let that happen again.  I dont want any of my days to be vacant.  I want to take time and breathe in what is happening around me.  God gave each day a purpose and He has a plan for each of us.  So lets make sure that when we close our eyes at the end of a day, we can hang the No Vacancy sign out because we lived that day to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment